In 1291, the bishop of CAstello,Tommaso Querini, established a sixteen- bed hospital on the island of Castello. In 1342, Pope John XXII placed the church, built a few years earlier, under the jurisdiction of the patriarch of Grado. In 1588, the premises were handed over to the Minims of St Francis of Paola and work began on the construction of a new church and monastery, which were to replace the hospital. The monastery became barracks in 1806 an was finally demolished in 1885 to make way for a school. The church itself was altered and assumed its present-day appearance. Dedicated to St Bartholomew and St Francis of Paola, it was consecrated in1619. De’ Barbari shows a church with no aisles, decorated with pilaster strips, standing not far from the church of San Daniele on the bank of the rio di Castello, a canal that in 1808 was filled in to create Via Eugenia (now Via Garibaldi).
The campanile rises at one end of the nave and hides the façade, like the one illustrated by Giampiccoli. They entry on the fondamenta can be clearly seen, as can the two-light belfry framed by crenellations and surmounted by a pyramidal spire. Both were demolished in 1588 to build the church whose bell tower is a four metre-high turret in the roof.
The ancient bell tower was damaged in an 1688 earthquake and rebuilt in 1754. Its Baroque onion is landmark Venice horizon line.
Detail from Jacoopo de’Barbari mao, 1500
The church, Founded in 840 and originally dedicated to Greek saint Demetrius, this church was rebuilt in 1170, became a parish church, and was rededicated to the apostle Bartholomew (the church is known as San Bortolomio in Venetian dialect).
In the 13th century, this became the church for Venice’s thriving community of German and Eastern European merchants, whose warehouse and offices were in the nearby Fondaco dei Tedeschi. Several renovations since then, combined with the dense development of this central campo on the San Marco side of the Rialto Bridge, have resulted in today’s church, which is engulfed by surrounding shops. San Bartolomeo was deconsecrated and closed in the 1980’s then later reopened as an exhibit and concert hall. Today it’s back in business as a church, though it’s no longer a parish church, replaced by nearby San Salvador.
The mascherini, On the bell tower of San Bartholomew (right behind the campo Bartholomew) posted a monstrous evil head with a hooked nose and lumpy and bulging eyes. a grotesque head, of some kind of bearded creature with horns, scaring the evil spirits away from this bell tower